By Chris Wright, 5/12/23
The end of Title 42 COVID restrictions today is expected to bring a flood of illegal aliens trying to cross the southern border. Illegal border crossings have been exceeding 10,000 a day in anticipation. How did we get to this point?
To hear the Biden administration tell it, the border is secure and a new rule will make people crossing illegally at other than approved entry points ineligible for asylum. This nod to border enforcement is just for show and completely meaningless, as I will demonstrate in a minute.
But to answer the question how we got to this point, the answer is the Biden administration’s open borders policies and unconstitutional refusal to enforce the nation’s immigration laws. In previous commentaries, I’ve documented more than three dozen policy changes the Biden administration has made to open the border. Today, I add a dozen more:
- Joe Biden said he would veto the House Republican border security bill that would end catch-and-release and build the wall so, right off the bat, you know he isn’t serious about securing the border
- a federal judge ruled Joe Biden’s ‘catch and release’ policy is unlawful and rebuked Biden for policies that have reduced the border into a “meaningless line in the sand”
- White House domestic policy advisor Susan Rice was aware the administration was releasing thousands of unaccompanied migrant children into the country, but deliberately failed to act despite calls to do so
- Biden’s policy has been one of accommodation, not enforcement. Biden’s DHS gave $332 million to left-wing nonprofits and Democrat-run cities to resettle illegal aliens
- DHS released hundreds of illegal aliens from detention to accommodate the flood of new arrivals expected with the end of Title 42 COVID restrictions
- the phony baloney sending of 1,500 troops to the border is not for enforcement, but to roll out the ‘welcome wagon’ and process new arrivals into the country more quickly
- the flood of illegal aliens is now being accommodated further as the Biden administration is releasing illegal aliens into the interior without court dates or tracking
- DHS ran out the clock on Trump’s border wall, leaving billions of dollars in construction money unspent
- the administration undermined an enforcement action in El Paso by publicly announcing the raids, first
- the administration restricted the use of surveillance balloons at the border
- the annual ICE report shows significant cuts to immigration enforcement in the interior compared to the Trump years. This is part of ICE’s ‘sanctuary country’ policy that protects illegal aliens from deportation. Deportation numbers are way down.
- and last, but not least, Joe Biden announced plans to expand Obamacare to accommodate DACA recipient DREAMERs.
Now back to Joe Biden’s new asylum rules: Excuse me, if I view Biden’s new [new%20rule]asylum policy with a jaundiced eye, given the dozen new open borders policies I just mentioned. First, illegal aliens have to be caught to lose their right claim asylum, but everybody knows most illegal aliens get away and are never apprehended. Second, the new rule is “riddled with exceptions”, 22 Republican state attorneys general have said. One exception big enough to drive a truck through is the fact the rule does not apply to designated legal pathways for illegal aliens to enter the country. So the rule won’t apply to illegal aliens coming through one of the more than 100 processing centers the Biden administration is building in other countries throughout the Western hemisphere. So, many more will be flown in, asylum claims intact. Same goes for approved border crossing points. The rule also doesn’t apply to unaccompanied minors, claimed medical emergencies, illegal aliens scheduling an appointment through the mobile phone app, or those aliens arguing ‘other circumstances’ if they can talk fast enough. Overall, the new policy is a shell game and the Biden administration’s orientation remains one of accommodation, not enforcement. Do not be deceived.
Watch Eagle Headline News – 7:30am ET Weekdays
– The 6 Top Stories in One Minute